A recent article by MSN Real Estate focused on a survey by the National Association of Business Economics, covering new-home building trends in 2012. Read further to get the gist of the article, and head on over to MSN’s website for more details.
The housing industry has taken a beating these past few years, but a glimmer of hope is on the horizon. Housing starts are expected to increase 10% in 2012, according to a survey by the National Association of Business Economics.
Not surprisingly, though, the Great Recession curtailed many of the extravagances that buyers desired before things went south. Homebuyers want different things from their homes today. The watchword is flexibility — things such as rooms that serve multiple purposes and homes that can accommodate either “boomerang” children or aging parents.
We talked to homebuilders and industry watchers to find out what will be behind the front doors of homes built in 2012. How do these features compare to your wish list?
- Single-story homes
- Grab bars in the bathroom
- Fewer stairs and more ramps
A bigger garage — for more than just cars
- To accommodate storage and avoid clutter
- “Man caves” — additional family area
The ‘resource center’
- Fewer rooms dedicated to one purpose
- Nooks for household work or homework areas
Homes within homes
- About one-third of American adults are living in the same household with another generation
- Increase in dual master suites / apartments
Really ‘green’ homes
- Greater energy efficiency
- Solar panels to power the house
Home plans that fit today
- Direct access to laundry areas/rooms
- Large pantries off the garage for bulk items from warehouses
- Drop zones for keys, mail, cell phones
The house that flows
- Open floor plan — increases the perceived size
- Great rooms opening to the outdoor areas
Infill is in
- “Infill” homes within existing towns
- Emphasizes affordability, public transportation access, job centers
All of this information is from MSN Real Esate’s article. Read more of this article by Christopher Solomon, of MSN Real Estate here: “8 New-Home Trends for 2012.”
Contact me at (714) 914 9060 or firstname.lastname@example.org for all you real estate wants and needs.
Latest posts by Renee West (see all)
- I am celebrating my Chairman’s Circle Gold Award from my Brokerage. I received this Award commending my professionalism, diligence, integrity, and sales accomplishments. - March 5, 2018
- LAGUNA BEACH CUSTOM HOME OVERLOOKING CRESCENT BAY, EMERALD BAY, AND THE MAGNIFICENT IRVINE COVE. OFFERED FOR $13,900,000. - March 5, 2018
- This striking Cape Code home offers seamless transitions, blending interior and exterior environments with ease. 3 Bedroom, Office (converted from the 4th bedroom), 4.5 baths,4 fireplaces, outside fire pit, flex room, bonus room showcasing the Turret.Listed for $5,495,000. Contact Renee West for your private showing. Hurry, this move-in ready home will be sold very soon. - February 25, 2018