The median home price of an existing, single-family home in California rose 1.2 percent compared with July and 8.6 percent from a year ago, the California Association of Realtors (C.A.R.) reported this week. Following two months of consecutive month-over-month declines, California home sales edged up 1.8 percent in August compared with July, but were down 14.9 percent compared with August 2009.
MAKING SENSE OF THE STORY
- According to C.A.R. President Steve Goddard, home buyers who are waiting on the sidelines should consider the opportunities available in today’s market. Favorable home prices and interest rates at or near historic lows make housing affordability the best in recent years. Anyone who is in a position to buy a home should do so before either of these key factors rise.
- The statewide median home price posted its 10th consecutive year-over-year gain in August, according to C.A.R.’s report. The median price of an existing, single-family detached home sold in California during August 2010 was $318,660, an 8.6 percent increase from the revised $293,400 median price recorded in August 2009. The August 2010 median price was up 1.2 percent compared with July’s $314,850 median price.
- C.A.R. Chief Economist Leslie Appleton-Young says California’s housing market is transitioning from the conclusion of the federal home buyer tax credit and that home sales are strongest in the higher-price range. The strength in the upper-end market combined with inventory levels that are higher, but still lean by average, has led to home prices holding steady.
- To hear more on this topic from Ms. Appleton-Young, please visit http://videos.car.org/mediavault.html?menuID=1&flvID=10.
Latest posts by Renee West (see all)
- NEW CONSTRUCTION ON THE BLUFFS OF CORONA DEL MAR.4541 BRIGHTON ROAD, CORONA DEL MAR- “THE CROWN OF THE SEA”. OFFERED FOR $27,995,000. - September 18, 2018
- 9 Del Mar, Newport Coast, Newport Beach, CA. “Truly the finest estate in Crystal Cove”. Listed at $35,000,000. Contact Agent Renee West at email@example.com for full disclosure. - August 30, 2018
- 42 Deep Sea in Crystal Cove, Newport Beach. Offered at $21,995,000. - August 29, 2018