California Realtors forecast slight rise in 2011 home sales
Sales of existing, single-family homes are expected to decline slightly in 2010 compared with 2009, but are forecast to rise slightly in 2011, according to the CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®’ (C.A.R.) “2011 California Housing Market Forecast.” Meanwhile, the median price of homes in California is expected to increase both in 2010 and 2011 compared with the year prior.
- Following near record-high levels of year-over-year sales increases, home sales are expected to decline 10 percent in 2010 compared with 2009, according to the C.A.R. forecast. C.A.R.’s economists predict home sales will increase 2 percent in 2011 compared with 2010.
- Home sales are expected to end the year at 492,000 units, compared with 546,500 in 2009. C.A.R. forecasts sales will come in at 502,000 units in 2011.
- The median sales price is forecast to increase 11.5 percent to $306,500 for 2010, and an additional 2 percent in 2011 to $312,500, C.A.R. announced.
- According to C.A.R. Chief Economist Leslie Appleton-Young, the Association expects a net jobs increase of approximately 1.4 million jobs in California for 2011 and an improvement in unemployment figures, which many believe are key to the economic recovery.
- Ms. Appleton-Young also noted that a lean supply of available homes for sale will drive up prices at the low end ($500,000 and less), but larger inventories and limited, less-attractive financing will cause continued softness at the high end of the market ($1 million and more).
Read the full story from the Sacramento Bee here.
Latest posts by Renee West (see all)
- UPGRADED, SINGLE LEVEL, RESIDENCE OFFERING SOPHISTICATED INTERIOR FINISHES, NO STEPS TO THE ENTRANCE. LISTED AT$4,875,000. - January 10, 2019
- LIVE ON THE BAY FRONT IN NEWPORT BEACH. EXCEPTIONAL ARCHITECTURE DESIGNED TO CAPTIVATE THE INDOOR /OUTDOOR LIVING AREAS. LISTED AT $5,550,000. PARK YOUR YACHT IN FRONT OF YOUR HOME. - January 9, 2019
- CONTEMPORARY CRYSTAL COVE ESTATE IN NEWPORT BEACH. ELEGANCE ABOUND. LISTED FOR $21,995,000. - January 9, 2019