While the rising population of homes in Newport and Balboa during the 1930s looks similar to the amount of houses currently, there are a few major differences in the landscape of these Orange County areas in these pictures. All pictures and information are from Jeff Delaney’s book Newport Beach.
After $4 million in improvements, Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated the new harbor by telegraph from Washington, D.C. The same year, the senate approved $13 million for Orange County flood projects.
“With a landlocked bay and miles of clean, sandy beach, with a climate unsurpassed 12 months of the year in all America, Newport-Balboa is a playground supreme.”
This card presents a sampling of Newport’s attractions, enjoyed by both residents and visitors.
Collins Island was famous for the castle William S. Collins built for his fourth wife, Apolena. The castle, owned for a time in the 1930s by Jimmy Cagney’s brother, was used as an emergency center by the U.S. Coast Guard for the duration of World War II.
This information and photos are from Jeff Delaney’s book Newport Beach.
More information on the Newport Beach area–it’s landscape and buildings –is available here: “The Newport Beach Area in the 1930’s”.