Do you need something repaired or done around your home? Rather than hiring just anyone, do your research to help avoid problems!
Here’s some tips to get the best work done!
- Shop around — getting multiple bids from contractors and handymen is the best way to get a fair price
- Depending on the job, hire a licensed contractor — check with the Contractors State License Board to make sure a contractor’s license is active and in good standing. There’s some jobs that just about anyone can do and do well, so a contractor isn’t always necessary, but if you’re having anything major done, permits and a contractor are needed.
- Get the quote or contract in writing — just like in real estate transactions, written contracts protect both you and the contractor.
- Better yet, get specific contracts spelled out on paper.
- Get a copy of whatever you sign — once again, this helps to protect both sides.
- If there’s any changes to the price or project details, mark it down on your contract.
- Check the financial terms — especially on large projects, you should know what the bottom line amount is going to be. Make sure you know all of the finance terms — total price, who and when to pay, interest rate — before you sign that contract.
This infographic is from the CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS.
Latest posts by Renee West (see all)
- UPGRADED, SINGLE LEVEL, RESIDENCE OFFERING SOPHISTICATED INTERIOR FINISHES, NO STEPS TO THE ENTRANCE. LISTED AT$4,875,000. - January 10, 2019
- LIVE ON THE BAY FRONT IN NEWPORT BEACH. EXCEPTIONAL ARCHITECTURE DESIGNED TO CAPTIVATE THE INDOOR /OUTDOOR LIVING AREAS. LISTED AT $5,550,000. PARK YOUR YACHT IN FRONT OF YOUR HOME. - January 9, 2019
- CONTEMPORARY CRYSTAL COVE ESTATE IN NEWPORT BEACH. ELEGANCE ABOUND. LISTED FOR $21,995,000. - January 9, 2019