I often have clients debating between the options of buying or renting a home. Considering the current housing circumstances, you should carefully think about your options, since rent and mortgage monthly amounts are now the closest they have been in 20 years. Should you wish to take the first step in buying a home, you can go to the Wells Fargo website , one available lender, to receive a preapproval or prequalification. For some tips and advice, please read the article below.
Affordable home prices and low interest rates have created an ideal time for many buyers to purchase homes, and now a new week-long look at homeownership confirms it. The national study, conducted for The Associated Press, shows that the difference between monthly rents and mortgage payments is at its lowest level in nearly 20 years.
KEEP THIS IN MIND
• The analysis of 45 metro areas found the difference between the monthly mortgage payment on a median-priced home and the median rent has declined to $256. In some areas, the difference is as low as $100, according to the study. The last time the price gap was that close was in 1993, when it decreased to $264.
• The study, conducted by Marcus & Milichap Real Estate Investment Services, used median prices for the last three months of 2009 and calculated mortgage payments by assuming a 10-percent down payment and a 30-year fixed loan at 5.07 percent. It also assumed borrowers paid for private mortgage insurance and didn’t include repair costs and tax benefits.
• Although the difference between monthly rent and monthly mortgage payments is at its lowest level in nearly 20 years, more stringent lending standards have made the home-buying process more challenging. Home buyers can prepare by ensuring their credit reports are up to date and saving for a down payment of at least 20 percent. Borrowers putting down less than 20 percent likely will have to purchase private mortgage insurance.
• Owning a home has significant tax benefits, including deductions for property taxes and loan interest. Homeowners also can enjoy building equity and creating a means of forced savings as they pay down the principal on the home.
• Although home buyers should not focus solely on future home price appreciation, according to data collected by the CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® (C.A.R.) over the last 40 years, homeowners who purchase a median-priced house, live in it for at least five years, and sell it at the then-current median price, have averaged an annual rate of return of more than 11 percent.
To read the full story, please click here.
Latest posts by Renee West (see all)
- Live on the secluded Promontory bay in the Newport Harbor. Listed for $4,795,000. Generous sunny patio and your own private docks!!! - May 25, 2019
- This turnkey, Lido Village, Bayfront home features a private 100’ boat slip, one of the largest boat accommodations in Newport Harbor. Contact Renee for your private showing- firstname.lastname@example.org. - April 18, 2019
- European Inspired Villa in Dana Point!Offered at $7,333,333.00. Contact Renee West : email@example.com your exclusive tour around the Dana Point community! - April 15, 2019